Author Topic: Gather Up [Prototype]  (Read 33785 times)

Titch

• Contributor
  • Thing with the guy in the place.
    • View Profile
Gather Up [Prototype]
« on: Fri, Nov 20, 2009 »
Gather Up!
A game about materialism

The evil in the land has been defeated. The Infinite Ascension lies before you. All god demands is the memory of your life. That and you climb a massive tower filled with hoards of enemies that drop tons of junk. God is an odd guy like that.

Play the prototype
Last update 24th November

Use X to draw guns/shoot. Character automatically climbs up 1-2 block heights and jumps off ledges as you run off them. You can only use weapons when your feet are on the ground. Guns should target the nearest enemy to you. Use Up arrow or tap in the opposite direction to dodge

NEWS

Just got Level Up to gold master stage, so I can pursue this full time now. Full game will be 5-6 months in development, a bit bigger than Level Up but more linear to allow for my crazy feature idea . Features a Hub world, epic long dungeon, five mini 'memory' dungeons/story events. Six weapons. Weapon modification system. More details to come.

COMING NEXT :-
Tutorials Signs - Covering the basics of attacking/dodging.
Improve gun loading - Add animations or HUD to make reloading clearer.
Enhance dodging - Add forward dodging. Refract control code so that it's more readable.
Inventory Handling/Loot Drops.

AFTER THAT:-
Intro Area - Start design for first game area as will be good for testing
First Boss - Sketch out boss code. Ect.
Weapon Switching

FIXES: -
Combat Idle Anim - Doesn't face correctly.
Shooting though walls. Could be tricky, this one.
« Last Edit: Mon, Nov 23, 2009 by Titch »
Free cake whippings every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

Fugitive of Physics

Re: Gather Up [Prototype]
« Reply #1 on: Fri, Nov 20, 2009 »
Interesting...... I don't really have a lot to say until it's more complete.

fefranca

« Reply #2 on: Sat, Nov 21, 2009 »
The auto-jumping and climbing is a really nice touch, congrats :)
Other than that, I feel like the character slides a bit too much.
Looking forward to see it finished (it will only take you a couple of hours I'm sure :D)

increpare

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sat, Nov 21, 2009 »
autojumping feature reminds me a lot of Archibald's Adventures ( http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2009/11/weekend_bargains_archibalds_ad.html ), which I just played this afternoon :P

Yeah the animations don't feel very smooth (in their transitions), and the sliding might be a little much, but I generally think the feel is ok.

Will be interesting to see how this develops.

PlayOrDie

• Game Over
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sun, Nov 22, 2009 »
This is looking very promising; it's inspiring to see what can be achieved with Flixel in so short a time (considering you have been working on Level Up too).

The graphics are nice and your animations look good. Keep up the good work :)
Make it work reliably and fast.
Donald Lebeau - Gauntlet

Titch

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sun, Nov 22, 2009 »
It never ceases to amaze me how quickly I can get new stuff into the game. A new type of enemy for example takes me less than an hour from conception to having it in game. It's quite pleasing really.

ChevyRay

• View Profile
    • The Proper Undead
« Reply #6 on: Mon, Nov 23, 2009 »
I got a little ways until:

Code: [Select]
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at com.titch.GatherUp::GathPlayer/update()[C:\Flash Projects\Gather Up\src\com\titch\GatherUp\GathPlayer.as:222]
at com.adamatomic.flixel::FlxLayer/update()[C:\Flash Projects\Gather Up\src\com\adamatomic\flixel\FlxLayer.as:26]
at com.adamatomic.flixel::FlxLayer/update()[C:\Flash Projects\Gather Up\src\com\adamatomic\flixel\FlxLayer.as:26]
at com.adamatomic.flixel::FlxState/update()[C:\Flash Projects\Gather Up\src\com\adamatomic\flixel\FlxState.as:28]
at com.titch.GatherUp::GathGameState/update()[C:\Flash Projects\Gather Up\src\com\titch\GatherUp\GathGameState.as:223]
at com.adamatomic.flixel::FlxGame/onEnterFrame()[C:\Flash Projects\Gather Up\src\com\adamatomic\flixel\FlxGame.as:366]

I was just shooting at one of those blue crawly guys.

Titch

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mon, Nov 23, 2009 »
Thanks Chevy. Addressed that issue. It's related to a target being dropped when target code is being processed.

Updated. Added a bunch of sounds. Made the map prettier. Enemy now do damage to you. You can now back flip dodge by either pressing the opposite direction to the one you are walking in or tapping the up arrow, if you are dodging attacks won't hit you (but you can't shoot.). Worked on the area switching code. The area basically loops eternally now.

Dodging is going to need some work now I've got proof of concept. The character will be able to dodge in 3 ways, towards, away and on the spot (possibly a shield). So I'll be adding the two new dodge 'modes' and adjusting the controls to compensate.

Giant_Gamer

« Reply #8 on: Tue, Nov 24, 2009 »
Comparing to the prototype of Level up to this, I would say it looks great. I also have a better idea of why this would not be just another area with Level up game-play. (Not that it would be such a bad thing ;) )

I can clearly see the differences in concept from the first project to the second. Just by playing what you have so far.

Not that I presume to tell you what to do, I also will note I have no clue to what you have in mind for this project, it would be nice however to see a few things.
1. Multiple weapons. Such differences in speed, weight and image.
(maybe having your gun out might keep you from jumping as far, or switching weapons night allow you to jump further. Alternatively having a heavy duty weapon give a big kick back that lets you span greater differences, but not in height.)
2. power-ups, like ammo & health packs . (since it looks like "regen" might be out of the picture.)

That's all my thoughts for now.
G_G

Titch

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Tue, Nov 24, 2009 »
1. Multiple weapons. Such differences in speed, weight and image.
(maybe having your gun out might keep you from jumping as far, or switching weapons night allow you to jump further. Alternatively having a heavy duty weapon give a big kick back that lets you span greater differences, but not in height.)

Good call. This is going to be at the centre of the project.

Most of the 'RPG' side of Gather Up is going to be about the six different weapons you have and making weapon 'mods' from the things you collect from defeated enemies. Each weapon will be very distinctive and a vital part of the game will be customising your weapon selection until it's fits your play 'style'. Weapon modifcations offer benefits with slight drawbacks. For example a laser sight adds accuracy and speeds up aiming, but increases weight, increasing recoil and reload delay slightly.

Ammo is going to be THE important resource. There is no more time limit in Gather Up. It's under consideration because ideas I have about manufacturing your own ammo seem like the might be too micro-manage-y. Strictly limiting it might take the fun out of combat. Using your weapons in smart ways to save ammo is probably going to be a core part of 'winning'.

Rice Bowl

« Reply #10 on: Fri, Nov 27, 2009 »
I thought the prototype was fairly fun. I'd like to see you implement jumps that require timing, maybe with moving enemies, obstacles, or platorms. I really liked he jump/climb syste; it reminded me of Zelda and I can see a lot of potential for it. The combat was kinda stale, though. All it was was button-mashing and dodging when necessary, so I'd like to see where you go with that.

Titch

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Fri, Nov 27, 2009 »
I worked on some stuff today waiting for an email back about the medal problems in Gath.

Mockup of the next area I'll be working on.

New type of enemy for the temple. There are going to be at least 4 enemy types for each area. Bringing the grand total of enemies in Gather Up to 28 + the bosses.

Germille

• Oh my, why I'm here?
    • View Profile
    • Germille's unfinished portfolio
« Reply #12 on: Sat, Nov 28, 2009 »
that autojump and autoaim are so sweet that can give me cavities.
i loved level up, and this looks really good too, keep on the good work!
Free cake every day at #flixel on irc.freenode.net.
Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/

darthlupi

• All Smiles
    • View Profile
    • LupiGames.com
« Reply #13 on: Mon, Nov 30, 2009 »
This is pretty awesome.  The whole time I played it I was thinking that it felt like a platform version of Chrono Trigger.  This is indeed a project I will be following.  Keep rocking it!
To take care of that not so fresh feeling: #flixel on irc.freenode.net.

Use your favorite IRC client or  http://webchat.freenode.net/

Titch

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wed, Dec 2, 2009 »

Redesigning that area  (the one from the mockup). Should be playable by the weekend. =D

harborpirate

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
Interesting game. It feels a little odd that you can jump to dodge but can't jump around manually. Down arrow seems like it would be a more logical control for dodge, at least most of the time. (Even if the character jumps to dodge, I'd rather push down to dodge if I could get an actual jump key). I know down is currently "holster weapon", but I'd rather have a closely related key, like z, or even just have x toggle and use spacebar to fire or something.

Anyway, just food for thought there.

The controls are a bit slidey (as mentioned by another poster), but I think they're tolerable. Tightening them up just a hair probably wouldn't hurt.

I really like the "old school Prince of Persia" feel you have going here, with ledge grabs and the like.

There are some REALLY promising mechanics here, especially dodge, which even though it feels like its wired to the wrong key, works beautifully.

Fugitive of Physics

« Reply #16 on: Thu, Dec 3, 2009 »
Found a bug.

Just take a running jump off that upper ledge to the right. There is no way to escape.

Titch

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Fri, Dec 4, 2009 »
Added all the main weapons. Cycle with the C key right now

Re-worked combat controls

Backflip - Tap AWAY from enemy
Roll - Tap TOWARD while holding DOWN
Switch Target - Tap DOWN
Holster Weapon - Hold DOWN

Add splash damage to the relevant guns.

Without the ammo economy, the Assault Rifle and Sniper (with it's silly good aim) are better than everything else. Need to look to that. Weapon Graphics are placeholder right now.

OnionsXD

« Reply #18 on: Wed, Dec 9, 2009 »
This is a great game also!

Is this one going to go on Newgrounds also when it is finsihed?

Jordan

« Reply #19 on: Wed, Dec 9, 2009 »
A few compliments are deserved. I played Level Up! on Newgrounds, and had neither heard nor cared about Flixel until then; I am now intrigued and somewhat tempted knowing that it was the engine behind that excellent offering. (I'm a fairly dab hand at Javascript and have even written simple games with it, so I think I might enjoy Actionscript programming!)

After the twist ending, I am mostly interested in how Gather Up! will further the plot. I am not sure what I think of the jump mechanic just yet. At the moment I find it somewhat frustrating; one of the strengths of the first game was in how it presented a "sandbox" environment with plenty of freedom and exploration, whereas this game looks much more linear. (It also explains the joke that the cute boy can't jump in the first game, no matter how much he presses [X].) Coupled with the focus on weapons—also absent from Level Up!, it is clear that this will be a very different affair indeed.

Incidentally, I started looking for any information on the development of this game to report the bug that Fugitive of Physics discovered, and so helpfully captured—so you may count that as an additional repro.